[ditz-talk] What about labels?

Christian Garbs mitch at cgarbs.de
Tue Sep 2 16:24:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 08:41:49PM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Excerpts from Christian Garbs's message of Mon Sep 01 19:53:20 +0200 2008:

> > I don't really get what labels are.  How do they compare to tags
> > for example?
> They are the same thing, this term was chosen by gmail, and reused
> by sup, so I keep this one.

Tags/Labels are useful, I think.

They could supersede components or the task/bug/issue type.
One could also think of using tags like 'wontfix', 'security' or
'wishlist' like with the Debian bugs.
> > Will they be like tags but removing the "primary key" of the bugs?
> In some way that's it.

I don't think I'd like that :-)

I like to have a unique identifier for an issue - even when it is a
slowly-changing thing like the current ditz ids.  While the real ID is
the long unique issue id, it's impractical because it is too long
to type.  Something like "ditz-10" is easy to remember and use.

If you remove the short issue id and introduce tags, how would that
affect the workflow?

Currently I look at the ditz todos, choose an id (say, ditz-10) and
then do "ditz start ditz-10".

If I only have labels instead of this id, what will ditz todo show?
Will an issue be listed five times if it has five labels?
With which id will it be listed if it has now label at all?

Could you provide a fake "screenshot" of a label-enabled output of
"ditz todo"?

Das Schicksal beschützt Narren, kleine Kinder und Schiffe mit dem Namen
Enterprise.                                          (William T. Riker)