[ditz-talk] What about labels?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 14:57:35 EDT 2008

Excerpts from William Morgan's message of Mon Sep 01 20:34:07 +0200 2008:
> Reformatted excerpts from nicolas.pouillard's message of 2008-09-01:
> > This work is now somewhat outdated by recent ditz changes.
> >
> > Before reworking it I would like to be sure that people/you want it.
> >
> > I plan to do it soon and I would like to be sure that's a good period
> > to be reviewed.
> I'd like to have it as a plugin. That way there will be no migration
> necessary---the component stuff is already optional (and might get
> dropped in the future because I think I'm the only one who uses it), so
> you could use the labels plugin either in conjunction with, or as a
> replacement for, components.

I also use components, and a lot for one project.

> The plugin system is designed exactly for things like this: just add a
> "labels" field to Ditz::Issue and add a bunch of commands to modify it.

OK, so you consider that components and/or issues types should go to plugins
too? However I'm not sure that the plugin system is flexible enough add them
completely (by grep-ing component in the code for instance...)

> > The first version was backward compatible, but I've heard that issue
> > types could be removed (tasks,bugs,features) and I think it could be a
> > good reason to switch to labels.
> I'm still not sure whether I want to drop them, but labels would make it
> easier to do so.

I understand that the backward compatibility makes things harder. However IMHO
some categorization have to be in core and that labels are simple and

However I will try to do that tomorrow as a plugin.

Best regards,

Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai