[ditz-talk] Simple Ditz GUI Frontend

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Mon Oct 20 12:04:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:48 AM, William Morgan
<wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net> wrote:
> Reformatted excerpts from Ben Lau's message of 2008-10-20:
>> I just wrote a very simple GUI frontend for Ditz. I call it Ditz
>> commander (v 0.1)
> Looks very cool.
>> - Why write in Python instead of Ruby?
>> I think Ditz is good but I don't know Ruby... and I need this kind of
>> GUI application. So I make this prototype. I don't mind if other takes
>> over the project and rewrite in Ruby.
> Seems like a perfectly fine choice to me.

Since ditz uses yaml, it seems like it should be possible for people
to use any language possible to write clients / plugins / extensions.

I've been experimenting with using python to parse the yaml files.  It
felt strange at first to use python to parse yaml tags named stuff
like !ditz.rubyforge.org,2008, but I got it to work eventually.  Once
I have something interesting, I'll post it to the list.

Am working on a view that shows claimed issues for every member of a team.

Does ditz need some kind of locking mechanism?  I might use the
command-line client in a terminal to start editing a file and then
forget about it, and then use some fancy gui to edit the same issue.

Sure, since I use git to track the ditz files, I could revert to the
beginning, but I would still probably end up wasting a little time.
Maybe something as simple as vim's .swp files would be good enough.

Matthew Wilson
matt at tplus1.com