[ditz-talk] Does ditz need some kind of relational DB or searching / indexing engine?

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Sun Nov 2 13:44:51 EST 2008

Reformatted excerpts from Matthew Wilson's message of 2008-10-30:
> I've been using ditz for about a month now, and I have big pile of
> ditz issues.  Now I want to search through them and organize them, and
> I feel like I'm writing SQL queries except with long chains of greps
> and pipes.

Aka, you can an expressive, succinct, procedural language to query your
issues, instead of a stunted, 1970's, declarative one. :)

> Another example is that I decided to rename a release from 3.5.1 to
> "long-run".  Since all the issues use the release-name in their own
> issue file, all the issues that were assigned to 3.5.1 were now
> orphaned.

This is a real problem. I've created issue f7abe2e7.

> Also, I think it might be nice to use something like UUID to make
> unique identifiers for each issue, release, component, etc, and then
> use those IDs for references between them.

Precisely. We have that now for issues, just not for the other things.
> Or if sqlite is no bueno, what about using one of those newfangled
> document databases like couchdb for storing issues?

The grander problem is that ditz is designed to work with projects with
distributed development. That means that if you clone my project, go off
for five months to the Himalayas, change a bunch of stuff, and then come
back, I need a good way of merging in all your issue changes as well as
your code changes. We get that "for free" by keeping issue state in text
files; merging RDBMSs is going to be a lot of work.

Now I wouldn't be unhappy if Ditz became the preferred alternative to
Trac and JIRA, and people mostly used it in the standard centralized
way. But at least at this point, what makes Ditz special and different
is the distributed aspect. In other words, if someone gave me a patch to
allow Ditz to optionally use an SQL database as the backend, I wouldn't
throw it away. But it's not the main line of development that I
personally will be pursuing.