[ditz-talk] Does ditz need some kind of relational DB or searching / indexing engine?

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Sat Nov 1 13:47:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Nolan Darilek <nolan at thewordnerd.info> wrote:

> This actually dovetails with a thought I've been having recently: RESTful
> Ditz. Instead of a bunch of commands, make the structure more REST-like. So
> you'd have "ditz issue add", "ditz release drop," etc. Then alias a few
> shortcuts, so "ditz add" and drop would reference issues, thus making the
> common case more quick. This would likely make it easy to spot gaps in
> command coverage, like the missing command to drop a release for instance.

I don't want to come off like an ass, but I find that people are using
the term REST in so many different contexts that I have no idea what
anyone means any more when they use it.

If I understand you right, you want to define a set of verbs, like
{list, search, add, drop, edit} and then for that set of verbs, be
able to apply to them to elements in this set {project, component,
release, issue}.

I think of this as sort of like an imperative command in English,
where the sentence has a subject, a verb, and a direct object.  The
subject is the ditz system, and it is implicit, just like in the
English sentence "take out the trash!" where you is the subject.

The system would figure out what to do by the combination of both the
verb and direct object.  So, the tuple (verb=wash, direct object=dog)
would require different actions than (verb=wash, direct
object=dishes).  Then later we can support adverbs, like this:

(verb=edit, direct object=issue-123123, adverb=vim)

which would mean to use vim to edit that issue.

(verb=show, direct object=issue-123123, adverb=browser)

and that would mean to display the purty HTML rendering of that issue.

Is that (vaguely) what you mean?

PS: I would write code instead of just chit-chatting so much if I was
more fluent in ruby.  I'm working on it!

Matthew Wilson
matt at tplus1.com