[ditz-talk] What about labels?

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Sat May 24 23:39:49 EDT 2008

Reformatted excerpts from nicolas.pouillard's message of 2008-05-02:
> I  would  like  to have a little more expressivity/flexibility when
> organizing issues  with  ditz.  The  'component'  feature is too
> limited and I would like extend to something better.

Well, no one has replied to this yet, which probably means no one
objects. :)

Personally I'd be fine with labels, since it's a lossless extension of
the component idea. I don't see it as something that would immediately
help me (since I mostly get what I want with ditz grep), but if there
are a lot of issues, then it will become useful. (Wow, this is just like
the Gmail / Sup story....)

>   (1) Would the feature kindly accepted? (assuming a consensus...)
>   (2) Should it replaces components?
>   (3) What becomes the short-name of issues?
>   (4) How to update the "display issues by component" to labels?
>
> Concerning  (2),  I  think  it  should replace them.

I agree.

> Concerning (3), I see three ways of doing it:
>
>   * One sort all labels, and join them with a dash: label1-label2-42.
>   * One give to the first label more importance.
>   * One forgive about the feature and give them all the same name:
>     project-42.

I'd prefer either #2 or #3. These names aren't persistent, aren't
exported to the outside world, and basically are just there so that
you're not typing the full hash out each time. So it doesn't really
matter what they are, as long as they're short. Heck, it could just be a
number, as far as I'm concerned.

Tying the issue local name to a component name was a vestigal remnant of
an earlier, more JIRA-like idea I was playing with. I don't know that it
really adds that much.

> Concerning (4), I also see three ways of doing it:
>
>   * One add a section per sorted-combination of labels.
>   * One mixup all issues together and show labels clearly.
>   * One give to the first label more importance.

I suggest just having a list of issues for every label. The per-label
counts will add up to more than the total issue count, but who cares
about that?