[ditz-talk] What about labels?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:33:08 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I  would  like  to have a little more expressivity/flexibility when organizing
issues  with  ditz.  The  'component'  feature is too limited and I would like
extend to something better.

I  had a few ideas the first one was to use directories in the bugs/ directory
to  model  a  hierarchy of components. Although I think that these hierarchies
are too rigid and prefer the idea of labels/tags.

The questions that come to me are:

  (1) Would the feature kindly accepted? (assuming a consensus...)
  (2) Should it replaces components?
  (3) What becomes the short-name of issues?
  (4) How to update the "display issues by component" to labels?

Concerning  (2),  I  think  it  should replace them. I've planned & started an
implementation that would be:

  *  backward  compatible:  Handling old 'databases', assuming that being in a
  component means that we are labeled with one label of the same name.
  *  forward compatible: While the feature is not finished the 'database' will
  not be converted while there is only exactly one label for an issue.
  *  keeping  components would be redundant and boring for users to answer one
  more question while adding an issue.

Concerning (3), I see three ways of doing it:

  * One sort all labels, and join them with a dash: label1-label2-42.
  * One give to the first label more importance.
  * One forgive about the feature and give them all the same name: project-42.

Concerning (4), I also see three ways of doing it:

  * One add a section per sorted-combination of labels.
  * One mixup all issues together and show labels clearly.
  * One give to the first label more importance.

Ideas? questions?

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai