[ditz-talk] Some work on ditz

Ohad Lutzky ohad at lutzky.net
Wed Jul 30 16:23:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM, William Morgan
<wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net> wrote:
> Reformatted excerpts from Ohad Lutzky's message of 2008-07-29:
>> However, now I realize trollop is also yours, so it makes more sense
>> to hack on that...
>
> Yes, I'm generally happy to develop trollop, using ditz as a use case.
>
>> For now I've hacked around the issue I was having (trollop was
>> "stealing" flags from the subcommand, and stop_on couldn't be
>> specified without the hack in
>> 126f410e7ebc900f2b60abf124cda042a4e07a6c. So I figured we might want
>> to bring that hack straight into trollop - add a general
>> "stop_on_subcommand" flag which doesn't need to know what the
>> subcommand would be.
>
> Adding an unconditional "stop at first non-option argument" to Trollop
> is a good idea.

Will do :)
By the way - where should I do it? Trollop's repository is SVN, and I
see ditz has its own version...

> But I also think we should just remove the :plugins_file option from
> ditz. I added it on a whim, and I don't think it's useful, and since
> plugins can affect parsing, you can construct ambiguous/paradoxical
> commandlines like "ditz --plugin-file a b --plugin-file c". If a is a
> plugin file that doesn't add b as a command, then should ditz unload it
> and load c instead? What if c is a plugin file that does add b as a
> command? Should ditz simply explode in a ball of fire?
>
> Does anyone make use of the --plugins-file option? I could make it an
> environment variable instead.

You should also take note that some plugins should be project-wide
(such as git. Why is .ditz-plugins gitignored?), and some should be
system-wide (a plugin to make all of the commands work in a nifty
manner using vi, perhaps). I vote for dropping --plugins-file (but
still using stop at first non-option).

Any Debian users to appreciate the "super cow powers" joke around? :)

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and

Ohad Lutzky