[ditz-talk] First impressions

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Tue Jul 29 12:20:43 EDT 2008

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like you've brought up a couple

Reformatted excerpts from David Masover's message of 2008-07-29:
> Using 0.4...  Doesn't work on Ruby 1.9 (I suspect this is a 'sha1' vs
> 'digest/sha1' issue).

Ok, I've added an issue for this (eab2a567). Patches welcome.

>   # Put the comments at the bottom of the file,
>   # as comments will be ignored anywhere, and
>   # most editors make it quickest to start editing at the top.

This sounds reasonable and I'm happy for this to be the default
behavior. I've added an issue (5fb1747c) and patches are welcome.

>   # I'm quick enough with Vim that I'd rather not have to type
>   # /edit every time.
>   alias_method :ask_multiline, :ask_via_editor

I would accept a patch to make this a regular configuration option
settable in .ditz-config. Or we can leave it as a hook issue.

> # Blank-ify, if not already done by e.g. Rails.
> # I think that's what the ditz authors were expecting.
> # Turns crash into a more helpful error when quitting the editor
> # without saving the file (or changing it at all).

I'm not sure what this is about. Does ditz crash for you if you don't
make any changes to the file, during e.g. a ditz add? It doesn't for

In general I don't like hacking NilClass and I'd rather fix the problem
at its source.

> (In particular, it feels like the editor template could be made into a
> user-overridable ERB file.)

Seems maybe like overkill, since I can't imagine people really wanting
to configure that on a regular basis, but if it scratches your itch,
go for it!