[ditz-talk] using setup.rb

Christian Garbs mitch at cgarbs.de
Fri Aug 22 08:01:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:47:49PM -0700, William Morgan wrote:
> Reformatted excerpts from Christian Garbs's message of 2008-08-21:

> > I don't know much about setup.rb and ruby in general or the specifics
> > of ruby integration to Debian.
>
> Well setup.rb is a very old thing that people used to use in the dark
> ages. I've only included it to make the tarball actually usable.

Ok.

> > Is there an easy way to make setup.rb install to /usr/share/ditz
> > instead of /usr/lib/ruby1.8?
>
> Look at INSTALL. There's a way to configure setup.rb by running it
> twice.

Is it possible to change the setup.rb so that the ditz files don't get
installed directly into the ruby library directory but into a "ditz"
subfolder?  Something like a package name in Perl (e.g. calling the
html module Ditz::Html instead of just Html)?

For example, I already have a file named html.rb on my system, but
it's in a package specific subdirectory:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/template/html/html.rb

Using something like a "ditz" namespace should prevent problems with
other packages.

Looking at the automagic Debian cdbs snippet
/usr/share/ruby-pkg-tools/1/class/ruby-setup-rb.mk, setup.rb is
already called with --prefix and --siterubyvers.  I don't see an easy
way to move everything to a ditz subdirectory using this snippet.

> I'd be happy to move the images and the .rhtml files into a share/
> directory since that's probably a better location. They're only in
> lib for historical reasons.
>
> For packaging this release, you may want to do that manually, or to
> explictly mkdir share; mv lib/*.{png,rhtml} share/.

Currently I'm doing exactly that for all files (also *.rb) which
prevents the namespace problems mentioned above.

I thought using the setup.rb was the "cleaner" method of install, but
looking at this, it's no problem for me if everything stays as-is.

Regards,
Christian
--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de

"Wir sind RFC822 von Textmail. Attachments sind zwecklos. Bereiten Sie sich
 auf deren Löschung vor."