[ditz-talk] First impressions

David Masover ninja at slaphack.com
Tue Aug 19 23:40:29 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 13:07:28 William Morgan wrote:

> Personally I can mostly categorize things, but I never do anything with
> that information, so I'm wondering if this is a JIRA-ism left in my
> brain that only makes sense when you think like a Java programmer.

I think I am the same way. Not JIRA, but Trac.

About the only reason I can think of is if you have a different development
cycle for bugfixes and enhancements -- at the very least, it would be healthy
to have periodic feature freezes, when only bugfixes may be dealt with.

Even then, it's not as useful as you'd think -- for a small project, you can
look at all ten or twenty tickets and actually read through them, and decide
on a case by case basis.

For a larger project, you never know if a bugfix is going to depend on an
enhancement until you actually read the ticket, and possibly until you
actually tackle that bug. It'd still probably be a useful starting point --
at least that way, there's a fair chunk of tickets you can simply ignore.

I think what might be more generally useful is a generic tagging system. After
all, as I've just described, it's possible for something to be both a bugfix
and an enhancement.

I do think priorities make sense, because then you can sort by priority,
highest first -- or choose to only view tasks above a certain priority.
(Hypothetically -- I don't know if ditz actually provides these features.)