[ditz-talk] First impressions

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Tue Aug 19 12:17:01 EDT 2008

Reformatted excerpts from William Morgan's message of 2008-08-06:
> Reformatted excerpts from David Masover's message of 2008-08-03:
> > My point is that if there is only one component, it makes more sense
> > to make this something short. I like Trac's notation -- anything
> > that looks like a pound-sign followed by an integer (as in #123) is
> > treated as a link to the ticket identified by that number (ditz uses
> > "issue" instead of "ticket", but the concept is the same).
>
> I see. Yeah, this might be nice, because it does make things much
> shorter in the single-component case. But I do like the current issue
> name format for when you have multiple components (maybe only because
> JIRA managed to burn itself into my brain), so if this were to happen,
> I would want the transition to be seamless if you add components.

I've been playing around with this idea a little and the more I use it,
the more I like it. I'm thinking of just turning it on by default,
independent of the number of components, and adding a configuration
option (or maybe a plugin) that reverts to the old behavior.

The only irritation is that (in bash, at least) # is a comment, so
something like "ditz show #77" is as if you had just typed "ditz show".
You have to backslash the #.

So I've been thinking about "+77" instead, which isn't quite as nice,
but at least doesn't require a backslash...