[ditz-talk] [Ditz-talk] something like a ticket inbox

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Sat Apr 5 21:46:05 EDT 2008

Reformatted excerpts from why's message of 2008-04-03:
> I am trying to cook up a strategy to offer users an interface to
> submit tickets and comment on tickets.  I know that probably doesn't
> fit very well into this approach, but I've been wondering.

One of the big advantages of ditz is that it raises the bar for feature
requests by requiring you to check out a repository and commit code. And
here you are, trying to circumvent that!

> Let's say I have a web interface that has a clone of the repository
> that is kept fresh by cron.  And largely the interface is read-only.
> Except users can add new tickets and new comments.  I don't really
> want the web interface to alter the bugs.yaml, in case there is a
> conflict.

In the git world, at least, you wouldn't actually have to worry about
conflicts. Don't do anything with cron. The website adds issues and
comments to its local bugs.yaml, probably committing each time. In your
maintainer repo, you pull from it, merging and resolving any conflicts.
Then you commit and push the changes to the website repo. Voila.

If there have been changes to bugs.yaml from the website in the
meantime, it will yell about a non-fast-forward update, in which case
you'll have to merge/resolve/push again until you've caught up.

(There are probably similar approaches with other dscms, but SVN
definitely won't cut it for something like this.)

> You commit new bugs and comments in a directory and after you "read"
> them through ditz, it merges them into the bugs.yaml.

It certainly won't be hard to do something like this if the above
doesn't work for you for some reason. Heck, each entry could be a file
that you just cat into ditz. As long as there are no issue deletions,
the local names would remain the same, and at some point I want to
modify it to accept issue ids in addition to issue names, which solves
that problem anyways.