[Ditz-talk] something like a ticket inbox

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 12:42:33 EDT 2008

Excerpts from _why's message of Thu Apr 03 17:53:07 +0200 2008:
> Hey, everybody.  I am finding ditz to be quite sensational.

I also find it a great potential!

> Now, clearly, ditz is very friendly to the hackers down underground.
> I am trying to cook up a strategy to offer users an interface to
> submit tickets and comment on tickets.  I know that probably doesn't
> fit very well into this approach, but I've been wondering.

I  think  that a great email integration would make sense. One could have some
hooks in sup to add an issue from an email directly for instance.

> Let's say I have a web interface that has a clone of the repository
> that is kept fresh by cron.  And largely the interface is read-only.
> Except users can add new tickets and new comments.  I don't really
> want the web interface to alter the bugs.yaml, in case there is a
> conflict.  I suppose you could look at bugs.yaml as an mbox file,
> monolithic and quite a spectacle.
> What if there was an alternate Maildir-style approach?  You commit
> new bugs and comments in a directory and after you "read" them
> through ditz, it merges them into the bugs.yaml.
>   shoes.git/
>     bugs.yaml
>     bugs/
>       ticket-1.yaml
>       ticket-2.yaml
>       comment-1.yaml
> Perhaps using a unique ID for each ticket could prevent conflict.
> Or maybe a complete Maildir-style approach could be used?

I  would  also love a Maildir-style approach, by using unique ids as filenames
in  the bugs/ directory one could therefor avoid a large class of conflicts in
our favorites DSCMs.

However  I not sure that having comments/discussion in the same structure is a
good  idea,  perhaps  real mbox/Maildir could be used to store these comments?
Perhaps  having some "X-Ditz-Issue-ID: ..." in email headers would keep things
properly bound.

Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai