[Cruisecontrolrb-developers] Avoiding polling source control

Paul Butcher paul at texperts.com
Wed Jul 22 10:09:50 EDT 2009

On 21 Jul 2009, at 21:41, Chad Woolley wrote:
> One other thing - I have noticed if you do commits ACROSS externals
> and a parent project, this can really kill the SVN server to resolve
> the log especially if it isn't beefy.  It was thrashing or something,
> probably IO bound reading different locations in repo. To mitigate
> this, I got in the habit of doing separate commits for externals vs.
> parent project - or alternately do a dummy commit to the parent
> project after the externals commit, so that shows up in the cruise log
> instead of the big cross-repo commit.  Maybe that is your current
> problem?

I doubt it, because the issue definitely seems to be caused by
CruiseControl polling (i.e. when we stop it from doing so, the server
can cope just fine). But thanks for the suggestion!

Paul Butcher
Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 857648
Main: +44 (0) 1223 309080
Fax: +44(0) 1223 309082
Email: paul at texperts.com
MSN: paul at paulbutcher.com
AIM: paulrabutcher
Skype: paulrabutcher
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbutcher

Re5ult Limited Registered in England No 04909795 VAT registration number
GB 849 201 231. Registered office 74 Eden Street Cambridge CB1 1EL

This email is confidential. It may be read, copied and used only by the
intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact us