[Cruisecontrolrb-developers] Avoiding polling source control

Paul Butcher paul at texperts.com
Tue Jul 21 16:22:42 EDT 2009

On 21 Jul 2009, at 17:48, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
> Never been an issue for me. Why should svn log once every few
> seconds be an issue, unless you have tens of these things going
> against the same server, all at the same time?

We have 11 projects under Cruise (with another 2 or 3 on the way) each
of which uses several "svn:external"s. All up, using the default
polling interval, that results in quite a lot of requests. I've no
idea what kind of hardware the Subversion server's running on, but we
share it with a few other clients of our hosting providers and they
contacted us to ask if we could reduce the load.

We can, of course, increase the polling interval, but we've got quite
used to the server building immediately after a checkin. It's not
essential, but it is nice to minimize the interval between a "bad"
checkin and finding out about it. And a post-commit hook gives us that
without any downside.

Paul Butcher
CTO
Texperts
Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 857648
Main: +44 (0) 1223 309080
Fax: +44(0) 1223 309082
Email: paul at texperts.com
MSN: paul at paulbutcher.com
AIM: paulrabutcher
Skype: paulrabutcher
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbutcher

Re5ult Limited Registered in England No 04909795 VAT registration number
GB 849 201 231. Registered office 74 Eden Street Cambridge CB1 1EL

This email is confidential. It may be read, copied and used only by the
intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact us
immediately.