[Backgroundrb-devel] backgroundrb noob question

Max Williams toastkid.williams at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:17:48 EDT 2009

I'm a bit of a backgroundrb noob, though i do use it for several different
things.  I usually follow the paradigm of keeping the controller code as
similar as possible, but instead of calling the original model method,
calling a new model method which calls a backgroundrb task, which in turn
calls the *original* model method.  eg instead of this

-controller calls 'my_obj.do_heavy_lifting'
-instance method do_heavy_lifting runs and returns
-controller continues

I do this

- controller calls 'my_obj.background_do_heavy_lifting'
- instance method background_do_heavy_lifting runs:it just calls a worker
method and returns
- controller continues
- worker method (in the background) calls 'my_obj.do_heavy_lifting'
-instance method do_heavy_lifting runs (in the background) and returns

Of course this assumes that do_heavy_lifting can be done asynchronously, ie
that the controller can carry on without waiting for it to finish.  But i
assume that's the case because otherwise why use backgroundrb?

BTW your code for adding a record to the database is kind of horrible and
very error prone - why can't you use AR::Base.create?