[Backgroundrb-devel] Unable to make the cron job work

harini iyer harini.r.iyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 03:20:14 EST 2009

I am a newbie to BDRB and I am kind of stuck. I installed the plugin from

Is there a better place to get the code?
And I wrote the following cron job in backgroundrb.yml

    :class: :EmailingWorker
    :job_key: :scheduled_emails
    :worker_method: :do_work
    :worker_method_args: nil
      :start: <%= Time.now + 5.seconds %>
      :repeat_interval: <%= 5.seconds %>

EmailingWorker is my worker class as shown

class EmailingWorker < BackgrounDRb::Rails

  def do_work(args)
    # This method is called in it's own new thread when you
    # call new worker. args is set to :args
    logger.info('In do_work')

  def hello_world
    logger.info('Hello World')

When I start the backgroundrb server, nothing gets logged in the
backgroundrb.log nor does it throw any errors. Am I missing something here?
I am running apache and mysql servers through instant rails. I am really in
need of some help here, I have been stuck at this point since 2 days. I
would be thankful if someone could point out the mistake that I could be

Thank You,