[Backgroundrb-devel] Capistrano hang. Restart command of backgroundrb does not return "Command finished"

Ole Morten Amundsen ole.morten.amundsen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:08:04 EST 2009

Capistrano v2.5.9
backgroundrb 1.1
ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.3.4

OK, my deploy.rb

  *before "deploy", "backgroundrb:stop" *
  after "deploy:update_code", "deploy:copy_production_configuration"
  after "deploy:symlink", "gems:install"
  *after "gems:install", "backgroundrb:restart"*

Running the cap deploy:
STOPPING backgroundrb works great, using the path of the running app

* executing `deploy'
    triggering before callbacks for `deploy'
  * executing `backgroundrb:stop'
  * executing "cd /home/ubuntu/www/PowEst/current && script/backgroundrb
stop"
    servers: ["powest.no"]
    [powest.no] executing command
 ** [out :: powest.no] Stopped BackgrounDRb worker with pid 27814
  *  command finished*
  * executing `deploy:update'

RESTARTING doesn't return. I'll have to press ctrl -c

triggering after callbacks for `gems:install'
  * executing `backgroundrb:restart'
  ** executing "cd /home/ubuntu/www/PowEst/current && script/backgroundrb
restart"*
    servers: ["powest.no"]
    [powest.no] executing command
 ** [out :: powest.no] BackgrounDRb Not Running
 ** [out :: powest.no] Starting BackgrounDRb ....

^C*** [deploy:symlink] rolling back

Logging in to the server and executing the very same command, works
perfectly. Actually, if I define it  after "deploy:restart",
"backgroundrb:restart", so it doesn't roll back when hitting ^C, I find that
the backgroundrb process is started on the server.

Any suggestions?

I love the simplicity of backgroundrb, I'm using it for daily tasks, as
generating reports, e-mailing them and so on -FYI :)

Ole Morten Amundsen
99 62 72 00
aliado.no
olemortenamundsen.wordpress.com