[Backgroundrb-devel] Backgroundrb in shared hosting environment

Patric patricrt at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:11:43 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am running a linux shared hosting environment, and one of my users
would like to make use of an app (Coupra Express) which uses
backgroundrb to process certain tasks. This requires that I run
backgroundrb as a service so that it is always available to the client.

What I am trying to assess is if there are potential security risks in
running this in a shared hosting environment. I assume that this service
would be available to other users on the same server as well - if so are
there any security issues that I should be aware of there? I read on
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/69440 that backgroundrb can be
configured to only accept connections from localhost (I believe this was
the default behaviour)?

Any information would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately I am
completely unfamiliar with ruby, rake or backgroundrb and am attempting
to pick up as much as possible as I research this topic, so if I have
misspoken please feel free to correct me.

Many thanks
Patric