[Backgroundrb-devel] Issue starting backgroundrb server (with Oracle)

Stone, Matthew A mstone at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 19 10:32:24 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I¹ve recently started trying to use backgroundrb and I¹m running into an
issue with starting the server.  I¹m running OSX (leopard) and rails 2.0.2
with an oracle database.
When I run ./script/backgroundrb start I get the following error:
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/connection_
adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:150:in `log': OCIError: ORA-02014: cannot
select FOR UPDATE from view with DISTINCT, GROUP BY, etc.: select * from
(select raw_sql_.*, rownum raw_rnum_ from (SELECT * FROM
event_tracking.bdrb_job_queues   WHERE ( worker_name =
'upload_invitees_worker' AND taken = 0 AND scheduled_at <= '2009-03-19
13:38:04' ) ) raw_sql_ where rownum <= 1) where raw_rnum_ > 0 FOR UPDATE
(ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid)

I¹ve read in a few places that when using Oracle it may be a good idea to
remove the lines that say allow_concurrency = true, and I¹ve done that.

Also, I saw that there may be an issue with oracle adapter with a SELECT ...
FOR UPDATE statement locking rows here:
http://kseebaldt.blogspot.com/2007/11/synchronizing-using-active-record.html
The comment points to this occurring with backgroundrb.

I would appreciate any help that you all can provide.

Thanks,
Matt Stone