[Backgroundrb-devel] Doing max of N tasks per given time

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 07:50:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Ramon Tayag <ramon.tayag at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some backgroundrb help.  I have a Rails app that connects to an
> SMTP server that can only send up to 250 emails per hour.  If I try to
> send the 251st email, it will just ignore it.
> I almost bashed my head trying to setup sendmail so I can send my own
> emails, but not all emails were being sent.

An outbound mail queue seems like a "solved problem", i.e. every piece
of mail server software already does this.  Adding your own queue
before passing it off to your ISP's SMTP seems like a waste of effort
on your part, and will lead to delays whenever you need to send more
than 250 mails/hour.

I think a better solution might be to run your own SMTP server.
Sendmail is torturous (I maintained the sendmail installation for a
former employer, so I know only too well), but it's not the only
choice.  Both qmail and postfix have good reputations as sendmail
replacements.  Take a look at qmail.

// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com