[Backgroundrb-devel] Doing max of N tasks per given time

Ramon Tayag ramon.tayag at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 04:14:03 EST 2009

Hey everyone,

I need some backgroundrb help.  I have a Rails app that connects to an
SMTP server that can only send up to 250 emails per hour.  If I try to
send the 251st email, it will just ignore it.

I almost bashed my head trying to setup sendmail so I can send my own
emails, but not all emails were being sent.

Looking at http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/scheduling/ , I can see
that there are many things I can do with backgroundrb, but I can't
seem to figure out how to do what's written on the subject.

I basically want to send up to 250 emails immediately, and queue the
251st email til after the next hour since the max limit of 250 will be
reset.  Is this possible with backgroundrb?

Ramon Tayag