[Backgroundrb-devel] missing thread.so on CentOS

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:38:17 EST 2009

I have a peculiar problem and it only happens when I start
backgroundrb. I'm running Ruby 1.8.6

Ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i686-linux]

on CentOS5
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz

Up until now, everything has been working just fine but recently I
have been unable to restart backgroundrb. The error is

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:5:in `require': no such file to load --
thread.so (LoadError)

So I turned to The Google, and found an article where it was suggested
that I copy the thread.so from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yourarchitecture/ to
the parent directory.

I tried this and got:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.so: undefined symbol: rb_eThreadError - /usr/
lib/ruby/1.8/thread.so (LoadError)

Something is obviously hosed, but I'm not seeing what.

Any pointers on how to fix this problem?