[Backgroundrb-devel] Doing max of N tasks per given time

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Feb 9 10:13:00 EST 2009

Jonathan Wallace wrote:
> Jack,
> That's a great point.  In a 5 minute google search, I couldn't find
> anything about qmail or postfix being able to rate limit out of the
> box but I did find that exim could.
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch39.html#SECTratelimiting

A bit late, but Postfix has rate limiting

See the transport settings.  Basically you can setup a specific
transport for a certain destination and then throttle it to X messages
per whatever.  The only thing is that if the mails are literally being
thrown away silently then you might prefer to go the custom code
solution so that there can't be any mishaps due to say mailserver being
restarted and stats being reset leading to mail loss, etc

Good luck

Ed W