[Backgroundrb-devel] monit paths

Vaughan Magnusson vaughan.webfu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:16:42 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use monit to monitor a backgroundrb process (that gets
killed occasionally), but I cant seem to seem the start or stop
commands to work (i simply get 'execution failed') - though they do
work fine from the command prompt.

I'm not doing anything particularly sophisticated:

check process backgroundrb_11006
	with pidfile "/home/user/site/tmp/pids/backgroundrb_11006.pid"
	start = "/usr/bin/ruby /home/user/site/script/backgroundrb start"
	stop = "/usr/bin/ruby /home/user/site/script/backgroundrb stop"
	if cpu > 90% for 2 cycles then restart
	if totalmem > 512 MB for 2 cycles then restart
	if 4 restarts within 4 cycles then timeout
group backgroundrb

I have a non custom location for my some of my gems like packet (/home/
user/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin), and I suspect that part of the problem is
that monit uses a spartan PATH (To quote http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html
  - PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin), rendering these gems
unreachable. Also, I get no errors in the backgroundrb debug log.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any idea how I might adjust
backgroundrb (or my start/stop commands) in order to make this work.