[Backgroundrb-devel] periodic votes--threads or workers?

Matt Garland alias at pet-theory.com
Mon Sep 29 11:23:03 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm just getting started with BackgroundRB, but I'm not sure how to do
what I need to do.

I have many chat rooms (Jabber) which are controlled or mediated by a
Rails app. There are periodic elections carried out in these rooms.

Just this would be easy. I could set up a chron job in the
configuration which gets all the chat rooms from Rails and calls
chat.do_election on each (Chat is a model).

However, it is more complicated.  Often there is not enough members to
vote: no quorum. Sometimes the chatters can "recall" a winner with an
early vote. So each chat room is essentially it's own story, with its
own chronology.

I know the signature of the election_worker class:

start_all_elections()# for create
trigger_election(chat_name)# tell Rails Model chat to do election with
individual chat
stop_voting(chat_name)# Rails tells election_worker no quorum
start_voting(chat_name)# quorum is reached
skip_to_vote(chat_name)# vote is taken immediately, and clock reset,
when Rails detects a recall

What I DO NOT know is how to deal with these multiple elections. Are
these THREADS inside the election_worker class? If so, how would I set
these up? (I'm new to threads).  Or are they multiple instances of
election_worker? (Where then would I create multiple instances of the
worker, since Rails has no "entry point"?)

Thanks, any help appreciated--

Matt