[Backgroundrb-devel] further struggles with 1.0.4

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:29:07 EDT 2008

So I've got my background workers up and running, but hit trouble as
soon as one of them tries to talk to another.  For example, I've got a
worker that was created like this:

  MiddleMan.new_worker(:worker=>:receiver, :job_key=>:r, :data=>{:job_key=>:r})

Later, I try to get access to this, in order to asynchronously call
the method "work_wrapper" on it, like this:

  MiddleMan.worker(:receiver, :r).async_work_wrapper()

Unfortunately, this gaves me a backtrace in the debug log, with this at the top:

Invalid worker with name receiver_r and key r

(at first I encountered this while running with packet 0.1.13, and
downgraded to 0.1.7 in case something had changed, but the problem is
just the same)

There seems to be a mismatch between what I'm passing to new_worker
and later to worker.  I do need to distinguish between multiple
instances of some of my workers, so I do need the job_key, but I guess
I'm passing it incorrectly.  Any help would be appreciated!

// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com