[Backgroundrb-devel] Monit; BackgroundRB; environment variables

Ramon Miguel M. Tayag ramon.tayag at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 06:23:09 EDT 2008

I started emailing monit mailing list because I started getting this
problem where I couldn't start backgroundrb with monit anymore,
thinking it was a monit problem.  However, I back tracked a bit since
I had added code to my project, and monit was able to start
backgroundrb again.

I seem to have zeroed in on the problem.  I'm not sure where the
problem lies - maybe monit or maybe backgroundrb, or very likely, my
code :)

The problem of monit not being able to start backgroundrb started when
I added 2 lines to my Rails configuration file:

"require 'lib/hodel_3000_compliant_logger'" AND "config.logger =
(See http://pastie.org/276618 for better formatting. I had just
installed a logger tool.)

My speculation: via monit backgroundrb tried to load the logger lib
but can't find it.  Since monit does away with environment variables,
maybe the backgroundrb script expects some of these to be there (maybe
to find where the RAILS_ROOT is).

I'm stuck because I don't know what environment variables the
backgroundrb script needs to start properly.  If I know what it needs
then I can add it to the monit start command.

Ramon Tayag