[Backgroundrb-devel] Backgroundrb-devel Digest, Vol 28, Issue 9

Stephen Weiss sweiss at stylesight.com
Wed Sep 17 18:03:11 EDT 2008

> From: Woody Peterson <woody at crystalcommerce.com>
> Date: September 17, 2008 4:14:18 PM EDT
> To: backgroundrb-devel at rubyforge.org
> Subject: Re: [Backgroundrb-devel] trouble stopping backgroundrb
> I too have been having the same issue. Every time I try to restart
> backgroundrb after an update to our application (about once a day),
> I have to forcefully kill it myself. However, I haven't been able to
> reproduce it in a controlled setting. After I kill and start it, it
> all works ok. I tried killing packet_worker processes (even with
> -9), but it still shuts down correctly on the stop command. I'll let
> it run for a while and try tomorrow, but has anyone been able to
> predictably reproduce the issue?
> -Woody
> (debian etch, packet 0.1.10)

Me three, on OS X Server 10.4.11.  Always just figured it was because
my backgroundrb was a month old but I can see the issue hasn't been
resolved yet (so good thing I didn't upgrade to fix it!).  If I go in
and turn it off myself, everything works just fine maybe 80% of the
time, the other 20% of the time backgroundrb stops but the workers
keep running (and therefore my StartDaemon errors out and suddenly
there's no background processing anymore).  Then I have to go in and
kill them off one by one until there's no more ruby in my process list
(super-unfortunately, I can't even do a killall ruby - something about
the way the name of the process is registered, but it would be far
more convenient because these are the only ruby programs on these
servers that get run directly and not through lighty).  My codebase is
relatively stable (changes maybe once a month, if that often), so this
is not a huge deal.  If the server dies on its own for whatever reason
(after a few weeks of uptime, which is downright commendable by the
way -  nice job guys, with previous versions I'd be lucky to get a day
of uptime - it starts to freak out a little bit), it almost always
leaves the workers sitting there running, and I have to go through
this whole process then as well.  This is double bad because if they
don't terminate cleanly, they leave junk laying behind in my DB queue
and then people have to resubmit their jobs.  I mean, I can usually
pull the list of jobs from the rails logs (just re-run the URL's that
trigger them again) but it's a bit of a pain.

All in all though, nothing close to the problems I've had with
previous versions of backgroundrb.  I'd take this issue any day.