[Backgroundrb-devel] Capistrano and bdrb?

Ramon Miguel M. Tayag ramon.tayag at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 06:01:31 EDT 2008

Hey all.  I ended up using monit to monitor backgroundrb.  It works
great - it starts and restarts it (or so I thought) when specified.
However, just now, I noticed that I was getting an invalid worker name
error when trying to send out mail.

I did some digging around and saw that my "script/backgroundrb start"
has been on for quite a while (I did a "ps -ef | grep backgroundrb")
and even if I did a "ruby script/backgroundrb stop" it still came out
when I grepped it.

I came to thinking that maybe when Capistrano changes the symlinks of
the "current" folder to the latest release, the current backgroundrb
script still points to the old release?  So when monit tries to
restart backgroundrb after the deploy of code, it's telling the _new_
script to stop and start, not the old currently running one.

Is my theory right?  If so, how can I fix this?

To fix this, for now, I rebooted the server.  However, this shouldn't
be the case in the future :o

I'm pasting my backgroundrb.monitrc file just in case (note I'm quite
amateur): http://pastie.org/265841
Ramon Tayag