[Backgroundrb-devel] Performance problems running Prawn under BackgrounDRb

Aaron Turner synfinatic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:33:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM, hemant <gethemant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Aaron Turner <synfinatic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a RoR application which I'm using Prawn via BackgrounDRb to
>> generate PDF's.  I've determined there seems to be a 5-6x performance
>> hit compared to running Prawn directly as a script from the command
>> line (~12sec to 60+sec) on my OS X system.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve performance?
>
> Hi Aaron,
>
> 1. How are you benchmarking this?
> 2. Are you using thread pool?
> 3. If you do not need large thread pool, you can reduce size using
> "thread_pool 1", which will give some boost in performance because
> having 20 threads active inside interpretor is a performance penalty.

I tried the thread_pool thing, it helped a little, but backgroundrb is
still multiple times slower then running the same code from a ruby
script.  Anyways, I created a standalone rails app which showcases
this problem:

http://synfin.net/code/prawn_demo.tar.gz

I put some info in the README, but if you have any further questions
let me know.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/