[Backgroundrb-devel] Call for help

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 05:38:25 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I am planning to put forth 1.1 release, but there are two issues, that
I would like to get solved before the release and I need your help.

1. Mac OS X issue: About newly started worker being unusable for
fraction of seconds. Ideally, it should work as Linux and other OSes,
but it doesn't because of problem with read_nonblock (which should
work across unixes at least well enough). The fix will only come
through trial and error and we will have to workaround this problem.
Not having a Mac machine is a bit of hurdle for me, so if possible,
try changing read from socket code in "packet_nbio.rb" and see, what
fixes the problem (and what causes the problem). Or else, if possible
for any of you, I shall be thankful for Mac OSX shell account for a
week or so.

2. Need to verify and fix, issue with bdrb when packet is frozen in
vendor directory (it should be really minor issue).

Changes that will go in this release:

1. Better start/stop daemon managment (as previously discussed on list)
2. logger.warn and friends for logging.
3. fixes and patch for scheduled_at.
4. When using "reload_on_schedule" option, previous instance of worker
should be killed, before starting new one.
5. job table migration patch by Seth.
6. Some documentation fixes.
7. Fixes for some closed bugs on backgroundrb trac page.
8. FAQ page for known issues/workarounds.
9. More test coverage!

Lastly, I need working monit/god/capistrano configuration that folks
are using for managing backgroundrb server. (Please submit a patch or
just use gist.github.com or pastie).

If I have missed any of important bugs/issues, please reply to this thread.

http://gnufied.org