[Backgroundrb-devel] Get a unique job id back when enqueing a task

Max Williams toastkid.williams at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:22:39 EST 2008

Don't i have the same problem with persistent_job though?  If persistent_job
is the currently running queued task, then when i put the job into the
queue, the worker hasn't started it and so the job doesn't exist - right?
Or, can MiddleMan get it back somehow?  I guess i'm talking about a job
request (which is what the db table holds) rather than the actual job.

As for testing if the server is connected properly, I monkey_patched my own
method :)  Quick and dirty, probably doesn't work in all situations but
suits my needs:

module BackgrounDRb

  class Config
    #returns socket for current environment eg "0.0.0.0:11006"
    def self.socket_string

"#{BDRB_CONFIG[:backgroundrb][:ip]}:#{BDRB_CONFIG[RAILS_ENV.to_sym][:backgroundrb][:port]}"

  class ClusterConnection
    #call on MiddleMan
    def connected_to_server?
      self.all_worker_info[BackgrounDRb::Config.socket_string] != nil

thanks, max