[Backgroundrb-devel] How to obtain task progress for long-running methods

Jim Nicholson jnicholson at skarven.net
Thu Nov 6 11:13:02 EST 2008

We've used previous versions of backgroundrb to handle long-running
tasks, like ingesting large XML uploads into the database. In the
previous API, we could set accessors on workers and use them to provide
status and progress indicators as the main worker method churned away.

With the recent API changes, I can't see how this sort of thing would be
done. It seems that calls to "ask_results" while a method is running
always return nil, rather than whatever the current contents of the
cache are.

Is there some mechanism I'm missing for doing this sort of thing? I can
see the usefulness of the new API and support for clustering, etc, but
if I can't give the user feedback on an active worker's progress, I'm
going to have to go back to the previous incarnation of backgroundrb.