[Backgroundrb-devel] Performance problems running Prawn under BackgrounDRb

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 00:18:10 EST 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Aaron Turner <synfinatic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a RoR application which I'm using Prawn via BackgrounDRb to
> generate PDF's.  I've determined there seems to be a 5-6x performance
> hit compared to running Prawn directly as a script from the command
> line (~12sec to 60+sec) on my OS X system.

Okay, I profiled your worker code and results can be found here:

What this indicates is, worker is spending quite a bit of time inside,
ActiveSupport::Dependencies#new_constants_in, what this means is,
ActiveSupport really screws constant loading in a big way and slows it

I do not have a solution since this is hardly bdrb problem.