[Backgroundrb-devel] Does backgroundrb support SSL?

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Thu May 22 01:14:22 EDT 2008

On 5/21/08, Jim Salinas <salinas.j at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for replay David, I just did a search and only found a mention of drb
> in a unit test and from digging around backgroundrb seems to have been
> rewritten recently without drb. If this incorrect, someone please correct
> me. :-)

BackgrounDRb has not used DRb for sometime, the name is just a bit
misleading now ;)

It was switched to use a event framework a while ago and more recently
has switched to the pure Ruby 'packet' library.

As far as I can tell packet does not support SSL, but I am far from an
expert on the subject. I assume you have some sensitive data you need
to pass to BackgrounDRb from Rails that you don't want in the clear?

Maybe you could just use the database to pass that information, only
passing database IDs or unique tokens to BackgrounDRb for it to load
the information. Of course depending on your database the information
may still get passed around in the clear...