[Backgroundrb-devel] Loading an array of MiddleMen

hemant kumar gethemant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:53:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 11:48 -0400, Vanson Samuel wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently working on a project that requires multiple rails
> applications (lets call them consumers, since they will consume
> requests) to exposes long running services that will be executed from
> a management rails application (the producer of the requests).  To do
> this BackgrounDrb was installed on all the consumers and the producer.
>  BackgrounDrb was configured to on each of the consumers and the
> configuration files were copied over to the producer.  This is where I
> run into a problem, there can only be one MiddleMan on the producer.
> In version .99 of BackgrounDrb I got over this hurdle by passing in
> the configuration file path to BackgrounDrb.initialize.  I would then
> instantiate and array of MiddleMen using the modified class.  I want
> to do the same thing again for the new version.  Only this time I am
> hoping that my changes will be merged into the trunk.  Please see the
> attached patch and let me know if this is possible.

Yes, that should work. Can you submit your patch with git-format-patch
so as I can commit it. You also need to submit some test cases, if you
want the patch to in. Also, you are not mentioning whats there in
backgroundrb_environment.rb file.

Just to clarify further, if inside your rails application you need an
array of middleman all you need to do is, creating custom middlemen by
requiring backgroundrb.rb file and changing ip and port to which it
connects. I think, details are pretty bare and should be easily
hackable.