[Backgroundrb-devel] Recalling threads

hemant kumar gethemant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 04:45:47 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 09:37 +0000, Todd Tyree wrote:

>         If you lots of users coming in and spawning a worker for each
>         them is
>         bad idea. You should probably be off using inbuilt thread
>         pool.
>
>         However, it seems you want unique handle for each user. The
>         best way to
>         achieve this is to use register_status with user_id or
>         something inside
>         worker, so as when you invoke ask_status from your controller,
>         you can
>         grab status based on user ids. What I am trying to say is,
>         perhaps you
>         don't need a job_key for each thread invoked.
>

> Hi Hemant,
>
> Thanks for that.  I think I understand where you're coming from with
> that suggestion and I'll give it a try.  In the meantime, could you
> just tell me if something like what I've outlined below is possible?
> I've tried a few variations and can't get it to work and just want to
> know if I'm going down a dead-end.
>
> def create(user)
>    return Thread.new do
>        @shutdown = add_timer(60) { done(user, thread) }
>    end
> end
>
> def keepalive(user, thread)
>   thread do
>     cancel_timer(@shutdown)
>     @shutdown = add_timer(60) { done(user. thread) }
>   end
> end
>
> def done(user,thread)
>   user.destroy
>   thread.destroy
> end

I do not understand what you are trying to do? For one fact, you can
never pass threads across workers and rails.

Also, are you having one worker per user? If yes, then why you need
threads? If no, then you can easily have each thread in thread pool
mapped to individual user. Can you specify more clearly what this worker
does? If possible, can you send us, entire worker code so as I can see
more sense of purpose that I can scantly see now.