[Backgroundrb-devel] Recalling threads

Todd Tyree todd at snappl.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 13:34:20 EST 2008

Hi,

I want to use backgroundrb to set up dead-man timers on user accounts.  If
someone is inactive for a set period, then the system will automatically log
them out and send an offline presence notification.  I've got this working
by spawning new workers with job keys and using page changes and periodic
calls to refresh a countdown timer in the worker.  However, this becomes
hard going if more than a few dozen users log in at the same time.  I've dug
through the documentation and tried a few things to no avail.  What I'm
wondering is, is it possible to add and access threads on a single worker
using a job key?   Alternately, is there a way to pre-fork a group of
workers and then assign (and reassign) them job keys?

Many Thanks,
Todd