[Backgroundrb-devel] best approach to managing workers and getting status

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 07:20:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Frank Schwach <f.schwach at uea.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hemant,
> These latest additions to backgroundrb look pretty cool. Unfortunately,
> I don't think I will be able to use it this way because in my setup I
> can't run anything on the cluster nodes directly. I have to submit jobs
> to a queuing system on the cluster's master node, which is why I think a
> simple daemon running on the master node that polls the (remote) db for
> pending jobs and then submits these to the queue would probably be
> better for my case - but I'm far from being an expert on distributed
> systems so any suggestions are very welcome!

Hmm, so use db queuing mechanism inbuilt in bdrb. bdrb still stays
lightweight because most of these changes aren't affecting core and
have really went into client side of code.

MiddleMan.worker(:foo_worker).enq_some_task(:job_key,args)

Above snippet does exactly that. But anyways, i think you feel its too
complicated for your setup? I can't help that feeling. Its
complicated, if its complicated to setup and use, but its not. Those
features totally stay out of your way, if you don't need them.