[Backgroundrb-devel] OS dependence

P Baker me at retrodict.com
Thu Jul 31 01:23:26 EDT 2008

Hey all, fairly new to Rails and definitely new to BackgrounDRB, thanks for
your hard work.

However, I'm curious about incompatibilities between the latest stable
release of bdrb (from the svn mirror) and mac os x. I've got (nearly)
identical setups on a Debian Etch and Mac OS X 10.5.3 system running rails
2.1.0, ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114), latest stable versions of
packet and chronic. The attached (mirrored at
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ulw9o2) rails project, which has a simple demo
ProgressWorker, demonstrates my concerns.

Running ./script/backgroundrb, and then in the console typing
MiddleMan.worker(:progress_worker).ask_result(:worker) produces different
results. On the debian system it produces the expected result, while mac
reports:

NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base.
The error occurred while evaluating nil.[]

from.../vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/lib/backgroundrb/bdrb_connection.rb:151:in
`ask_result'
    from
.../vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/lib/backgroundrb/rails_worker_proxy.rb:78:in
`ask_result'
    from
.../vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/lib/backgroundrb/rails_worker_proxy.rb:78:in
`map'
    from
.../vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/lib/backgroundrb/rails_worker_proxy.rb:78:in
`ask_result'
    from (irb):1

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known bug? Are there other
differences in threading between OSs? I develop on a mac and the production
server is Debian, so I'm curious as to what to expect...Any guidance would
be appreciated.

Thanks -pbaker