[Backgroundrb-devel] Problem with worker servers

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 16:28:54 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Daniel Lockhart <daniel at newzwag.com> wrote:
> Both servers are RHLE, one Red Hat 5, the other 4.  The kernel on the 4 is
> 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp which is 32 bit.  The kernel on the 5 is 2.6.18-92.el5,
> which is 64 bit.

Okay, I am assuming one of the workers is starting the server and
perhaps other worker uses #connect to connect to the server started on
previous worker, right?

What might be happening is, when next worker attempts to connect, it
may not find server up yet, hence you need to make reconnect attempt.
This is of course, complete guess work, but for example:

class Bar
  def receive_data p_data
    send_data(p_data)
  end

  def connection_completed
    puts "whoa man"
  end

  # will be automatically called when server refuses the connection,
lets try to reconnect after 10 seconds
  # if reconnect fails unbind will be automatically called and next
attempt will be made after 10 seconds.
  def unbind
    add_timer(10) { reconnect("localhost",2981,Bar) }

class FooWorker < BackgrounDRb::MetaWorker
  set_worker_name :foo_worker
  def create(args = nil)
    # this method is called, when worker is loaded for the first time
    connect("localhost",2981,Bar)

Also, there was a problem with add_timer.. when used within tcp
connections like that, hence I had to release a new version of packet
(0.1.10, its up on rubyforge.org).

Let me know, if this fixes your problem.