[Backgroundrb-devel] Scheduling one-off tasks

Joost Baaij joost at spacebabies.nl
Tue Jul 22 02:19:16 EDT 2008

Op 22 jul 2008, om 07:04 heeft hemant het volgende geschreven:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Joost Baaij <joost at spacebabies.nl>
> wrote:
>> I am building a Rails website which has content that expires at
>> some time in
>> the future.
>> I realise I can build a worker that goes into a sleep/wait loop
>> until the
>> desired time, but that's not really better than polling.
> You don't need an explicit sleep in worker, it will wait anyways on
> select().

I don't understand, which select are you referring to?

Is that a method somewhere in backgroundrb?

> Also, by "one off", you mean, a worker that starts when on schedule
> and stops after that, you can use "reload_on_schedule true" in worker.

Not entirely what I mean, I mean I only need to execute one command at
one time in the future.

So for example I only need to call the Rails method
expire_fragment('sidebar') at 2008-07-24 21:00:00 as a one-time event.