[Backgroundrb-devel] Restarting BackgrounDRb Means Restarting Mongrel?

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:17:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Timothy Sanders
<tsanders at hiddenjester.com> wrote:
> Any update on this new tagged version? I need a new stable version before
> I'll be allowed to deploy an update, and at the moment we've got a whole set
> of things that are waiting for a stable version of backgroundrb to deploy.
>
> I understand that it's difficult to have a firm timeline, but it's also been
> a couple of weeks since the last thing we've heard on tagging a new version.

I can use some help in making new tagged release. Basically, master
branch of github will be merged with testcase branch. I am exclusively
working on testcase branch.

In past, I had some bad experience with hurried releases and don't
want to repeat the same mistake, in the meanwhile, you can happily use
git master, it works pretty rock solid and whenever required i roll
out new fixes.

BUT, next release will be a major release and I don't want to mess it
up. Here are set of things, that I am working on:

1. Get close to 100% test coverage and make tests runnable by end users.
2. Implement support for database based persistent worker queues. Done
in testcase branch.
3. Implement support for clustering of BackgrounDRb servers and load
balancing. This is again done.
4. Support for multi-machine setup and let user run tasks on specified
hosts.Done
5. make result storing thread safe and hence can be called from within threads.
6. Support memcache based result storage properly.
7. Cleanup job_key confusion.
8. Fix some memory leaks introduced by upstream stupid ruby tricks.

You can see this change sheet is huge. There have been some minor API
changes as well, but I want this release to be stable and scalable
within production environments.

If you want to accelerate this process, then checkout code from
testcase branch of github backgroundrb repo and give it a try.Thats
the future. Otherwise, use master branch, there is no problem there.