[Backgroundrb-devel] Couple questions on BDRb

Stephen Sykes sdsykes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 08:52:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Raghu Srinivasan
<raghu.srinivasan at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... But one thing I've noticed is that
> my mongrels which start off at about 50MB of memory slowly start to swell
> and in about 12-24 hours end up at 200MB or even 300MB at times. I can
> restart rails in a couple seconds and the problem goes away (but eventually
> returns) but I wanted to know if anyone else is seeing this and what can be
> done to avoid it altogether. I am not using any other gems/plugins except
> googlecharts. I haven't had this problem before.

This is not related to backgroundrb, but yes, we see and have seen
process growth like this.  After very long investigations, we believe
most of our problems to have been attributable to Ruby memory leaks.
See here:

http://pennysmalls.com/2008/03/23/ruby-leaks-memory/

I recommend using Ruby 1.8.7 if you are able.  See here:

http://pennysmalls.com/2008/06/29/rails-on-ruby-187/

Regards,
Stephen