[Backgroundrb-devel] Couple questions on BDRb

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:26:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Raghu Srinivasan
<raghu.srinivasan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Following Hemant's suggestion, I upgraded to the git version of BDRb as per
> http://gnufied.org/2008/05/21/bleeding-edge-version-of-backgroundrb-for-better-memory-usage/
> and yes, it is more stable and doesn't have the limit of a maximum of 256
> jobs that can be queued. So that's great. But one thing I've noticed is that
> my mongrels which start off at about 50MB of memory slowly start to swell
> and in about 12-24 hours end up at 200MB or even 300MB at times. I can
> restart rails in a couple seconds and the problem goes away (but eventually
> returns) but I wanted to know if anyone else is seeing this and what can be
> done to avoid it altogether. I am not using any other gems/plugins except
> googlecharts. I haven't had this problem before.

Hmm, you figure this could be a problem with BackgrounDRb client
library, since server runs totally separately from rails and shouldn't
have anything to do with rails?  Anyway, try to run your app under
bleakhouse and see from where this memory issue is coming up. I
haven't seen this kind of problem in our production environment.

> Another question - is there a way to roll over the background*.log files
> once they hit a certain size like 50 or 100M. Eventually isn't that going to
> slow things down - having to write to a ginormous log file? Sort of like how
> we can set, in Rails, both a max log file size and the number of log files
> to be stored?

Another good idea would be disable logging altogether with following
option in config file:

:backgroundrb:
  :debug_log: false