[Backgroundrb-devel] Couple questions on BDRb

Raghu Srinivasan raghu.srinivasan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:52:20 EDT 2008

Following Hemant's suggestion, I upgraded to the git version of BDRb as per
-for-better-memory-usage/ and yes, it is more stable and doesn't have the
limit of a maximum of 256 jobs that can be queued. So that's great. But one
thing I've noticed is that my mongrels which start off at about 50MB of
memory slowly start to swell and in about 12-24 hours end up at 200MB or
even 300MB at times. I can restart rails in a couple seconds and the problem
goes away (but eventually returns) but I wanted to know if anyone else is
seeing this and what can be done to avoid it altogether. I am not using any
other gems/plugins except googlecharts. I haven't had this problem before.

Another question - is there a way to roll over the background*.log files
once they hit a certain size like 50 or 100M. Eventually isn't that going to
slow things down - having to write to a ginormous log file? Sort of like how
we can set, in Rails, both a max log file size and the number of log files
to be stored?