[Backgroundrb-devel] Can schedules START a worker?

Scott Ward scott at shefield.com
Fri Jan 25 17:32:50 EST 2008

Hi there,

I'm just working on getting backgroundrb (1.0.1) up and running.  I'm no
expert with ruby, etc, so I still don't quite get a few things.

I have scheduled workers that run every few minutes.  That works fine.  I
have other workers that run once per day or even once per week.  It doesn't
make sense to have them running all the time.  I'd rather they just fire up
when the time comes and shut down again.

I thought I could "set_auto_load true" and that they would be started up
when the schedule dictated.  Then I'd use "exit" at the end to stop them
again.

But apparently, the schedules only work on running workers.

What am I missing?  What's the best way to handle workers that only need to
take action once per day and therefore don't need to be running all the
time?

Thanks,

Scott