[Backgroundrb-devel] actionmailer the background

Clint Troxel clint at ctro.net
Tue Jan 15 18:31:34 EST 2008

I have bdrb successfully set up and running in a local project.  It's
doing two things:

1) processing large csv files and using ActiveRecord to insert
2) sending large batches of emails using ActionMailer

In development both work well.  I see my ActionMailer emails in the
log (though it's the development.log -- odd?)

On the production server csv processing works well, but sending emails
throws errors in the background.

Note:  I can successfully upload a csv, then fail trying to send
emails, then successfully upload another csv file.  Also, sending
emails works in production when used outside of backgroundrb.

backgroundrb_debug.log reports this

PGError: no connection to the server
: SELECT a.attname, format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod), d.adsrc,
a.attnotnull
FROM pg_attribute a LEFT JOIN pg_attrdef d
ON a.attrelid = d.adrelid AND a.attnum = d.adnum
WHERE a.attrelid = 'sandboxed_libraries'::regclass
AND a.attnum > 0 AND NOT a.attisdropped
ORDER BY a.attnum

/usr/local/projects/ecera/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:128:in `log'
/usr/local/projects/ecera/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:142:in `query'
/usr/local/projects/ecera/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:528:in `column_definitions'
/usr/local/projects/ecera/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:223:in `columns'

Can't seem to turn anything up after a day of googling.
Does this ring any bells?

Thanks,
Clint